Saturday, October 22, 2011

#13 Ratt - Invasion of Your Privacy Putting the METAL in Glam Metal


ROCKTOBERFEST: A Most Excellent Countdown of the 31 Most Bitchin Glam Metal Albums

#13 Ratt– Invasion of Your Privacy (Released 1985) 2x Platinum #3 Billboard Albums



Stephen Pearcy (Even 5-year old Stephen is a hornball)– Vocals 

Warren DeMartini (High Chief Shredder)– Lead & Rhythm Guitar

Robbin Crosby  (R.I.P. Big Guy) – Rhythm & Lead Guitar 

Juan Croucier (Big Time Sexy Bass) - Bass

Bobby Blotzer (Blondes Have More Fun) – Drums

Putting the METAL in Glam Metal 


 R.I.P. Robbin Crosby, Always Brought The Big Grooves

Ratt returns to this countdown at #13 with their sophomore album, Invasion of Your Privacy. At this point in their careers, the boys in Ratt are attempting to follow the smash hit, monster album, Out Of Cellar. Ratt, unlike their compatriots in Motley Crue, do not seek mess with success. Rather they follow the mantra of “If it aint broke don’t fix it” and while this would catch up with them on subsequent albums. Ratt still had a ton of hard-hitting, catchy riffs to supply themselves with another multi-platinum album and retain their position of as one of the premiere glam metal bands. However as the Second Wave began to swell Ratt had a very difficult time adapting successfully. During a tour with Poison in the late 80’s, Ratt fired Poison as the opening act because they were getting too over with crowds. However, once Ratt realized that Poison was the real draw for the concert they had to embarrassingly hire them back. This is an unfortunate story for my second favorite glam metal bands of all time, but it displays how complacency is a deadly sin to commit. Invasion of Your Privacy does not suffer from these problems as it is still fresh, energetic album. It does suffer from over-employment of clichéd lyrics, but It would not be Ratt without a whole song done in clichés see You Should Know By Now or the metal grinder What You Give Is What You Get.



That is where we will begin, What You Give Is What You Get. On a  semi-related note, I used this cliché to great effect one night at a party. So as me and this girl were parting ways, I asked if she liked ice cream (get your mind out of the gutter, I am talking about the food, brutha) and she responded is that you are not so subtle way of saying we should get ice cream. My retort was “What you see is what you get” and then I leaned in and whispered, “But what you don’t see is even better yet.” Now I ask, How am I still single??? Anyways onto the song, Pearcy croons very effectively on this heavy mid-tempo rocker while DeMartini wails over the rhythm section with great lead guitar effects. The rhythm section brings the tough sound that reminds everyone that Ratt puts the METAL in glam metal.



Next up is one of all-time favorite songs, You’re In Love. The riff in this song is so damn catchy. Even when I haven’t heard the song in weeks, I sometimes find myself mimicking the riff on the streets. It is just great staccato riffing at its finest, so metal yet so catchy. This riff definitely belongs in the Pantheon of Riffs along with Iron Man, Smoke On The Water, and Breaking The Law. The vocal melody is a great hook and I love singing the opening verse just randomly getting off the bus, in the shower, to random girls at parties, at the retirement home. It is always a big hit. Great story on this one is that I always thought chorus ended with “Because I am an ancient breed.” I was always like that is just fuckin weird. It turns out it is a classic case of #MisheardLyrics, “Because I aim to please”, but sure as hell sounds like the former. The solo kicks all ass as DeMartini ascends to his throne as top guitar shredder of glam metal. I think DeMartini could give Van Halen and Mathias Jabs of Scorpions a run for their money in terms of the greatest shredder of all time. He is definitely in my top three. You know what Ratt I am in love and it is with this fuckin band! RATT N ROLL 4 LIFE!!!!



So how do you top that high-energy metal, well you of course make the song, Lay It Down, which just kicks all sort of ass and is one of favorite songs of all time. That bass line is so fuckin grooving and just drips with sex. The guitar intro is just so freakin awesome and continues Ratt’s long tradition of being one of the best guitar-driven bands in the history of rock/metal. The chorus is instantly catchy “I know you really want to lay it down. LAY IT DOWN!” and the guitar work during the chorus just complements it all so well with that beautiful texture. DeMartini/Crosby feed off each other so well and the harmonies! All I can say is WOW! The solo is beautiful and renders me speechless everytime. Ratt is one of the best glam metal bands from the 1980’s and I wish they got more respect.



The final choice cut of this review is the very, very  metal Never Use Love. This riff would make Judas Priest fuckin jealous. That is how good this staccato riffing is. The solo continues the norm of the album of having tremendous solos. If you love guitar-work, then this band is for you. Ratt is one of the best riff-rock bands ever! Reviewing this album has just made me fall in love with this band all over again. Yet I have not even reviewed Out of the Cellar. I LOVE RATT N ROLL!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment